How to travel to South America after Covid-19. But first. We want to thank you.
Virtually every travel company, big and small, has been affected by the global pandemic. Our teams at Adios Adventure Travel are truly grateful for the loyalty and support of our clients and current suppliers. We are working closely with our local resources to develop and implement health and safety protocols that ensure the safest environment for our travelers and our staff.
What is the status of our company Adios Adventure Travel?
Before the world was struck down by covid-19, Adios Adventure Travel was operating at a profit. Post-covid we remain debt-free and ready to resume full operations in all countries where we were operating before the corona virus. Our local teams are preparing to conduct business with up to date health standards and safe practices for our small groups. We have always specialized in customized trips for small, private groups and this will continue after countries reopen and international travel starts to return to whatever configuration it will be in the future.
Can US-Bound Travelers Get Covid Tests in Peru?
Yes. We have organized this service in Cusco for travelers from other countries who need it to return home after visiting Machu Picchu. Anyone can get the test in Cusco. We're not aware of covid testing being available in Lima airport. We wrote an entire blog post with all the details. Follow this link.
Covid Controls Tool - created by developers from Singapore's MIT Senseable City Lab (Research group that focuses on design and tech) You'll see a world map with search fields to type in your country of origin and the status of countries you can visit with green, yellow and red color codes to show requirements for entry.
Airsiders - Berlin-based travel tech company developed this app to help passengers navigate airports and departure gates based on current protocols. Temperature checks and covid testing, as well as what amenities are available are incorporated into your plan to manage your airport connections.
Allianz Travel Smart App - tool for travelers, especially those going to foreign destinations where they don't know anyone, and may not speak the language. A variety of functions can be stored in one convenient app: Find local medical services, get translations for medical terms, and file and manage insurance claims, (although in foreign countries you may be asked to pay for your medical service at the time it's rendered), Retain Emergency and Hotline info at your fingertips. Have the option to receive push notifications for safety and security. Track your flights. Get automatic $100 payment when flights are delayed. Get "no receipt claim payment" for delayed luggage.
FlyEasy - Information platform and practical guide for people who are planning to travel by air in Peru both international and national. (Spanish Only. I used free "google translate" to translate to English)
See our up to date blog posts for the latest information about border reopenings, arrival policies, covid tests, and the status of airlines and entry into various destinations in South America. Travelers in 2020 should be prepared for last-minute changes to itineraries as businesses slowly reopen. Below we included the latest up to date announcements for Machu Picchu health protocols from the NEW Machu Picchu website relaunched in July 2020. Information is subject to change almost daily. It's adviseable to confirm the accurancy of information from more than one resource before making plans.
We're doing our part to help you decide when to travel again:
- Health and Safety. Peru has been designated a "Safe Travels" destination by WTTC. Follow this link for full details.
- Flexible booking. Adios Adventure Travel offers 100% risk-free cancellation for new bookings to Machu Picchu in 2021. We will give you a 100% full refund if you cancel for any reason up to 16 days prior to scheduled arrival. Follow this link to see more details about the offer.
- Reschedule any trip to Machu Picchu without penalties up to 16 days prior to arrival.
- Flexible and deferred payment plans to keep your options open as close to your travel date as possible.
Travelers can choose from any of our all-inclusive itineraries, or for independent travelers, you reserve your own hotels while we take care of the travel logistics to get to and from Machu Picchu, the Inca Trail or other activities.
In Peru, they went back and forth during the slow season from January and February, with changes to arrival protocols that mandated all international passengers, even Peruvians, to have 14-day quarantine upon arrival through March 14, 2021. Cusco had a mini-surge of tourism over the Christmas and New Year's holidays before the rules were tightened on January 4, 2021. In March, flights from Brazil and Europe and any flight longer than 8 hours have been suspended. Machu Picchu was closed the entire month of February.
Machu Picchu reopened on March 1, 2021 and tickets are available online through the end of December 2021.However, the government announced a nationwide quarantine in Peru during Easter holy week. Only essential services are operating from April 1-4, 2021. Machu Picchu is closed. Some hotels in the Cusco, Sacred Valley and Machu Picchu area are trying to remain open for business. But without a steady flow of travelers, it's difficult to maintain staff and supplies needed.
Domestic overland and air travel has resumed based on supply and demand, and in recent weeks the government has drafted and approved travel protocols and guidelines for the Peruvian tourism sector. The lodges and hotels have been working to incorporate new measures into their own traveler’s health protocols, and which will be updated regularly as the situation evolves within the nation’s borders. Many hotels experienced a mini-surge during the Christmas and New Year holidays. Restaurants and tourist related shops are reopening at limited capacity. Some regions in Peru may not be open due to the limited demand. Most travelers will focus on Machu Picchu and therefore Cusco and the Sacred Valley will benefit from the close proximity. But other places like Lake Titicaca, Colca Canyon, Paracas and Ica are difficult to access without bus service. As a company we continue to adopt the recommendations provided by the WTTC (World Travel & Tourism Council) and the WHO (World Health Organization) for the wellbeing of both our teams and our guests.
This is the ideal time for people who have the flexiblity to travel last minute to explore Machu Picchu and the Cusco region. Cusco is a good hub for accessing tour guides, drivers and services needed to explore nearby mountains like Rainbow, Waqrapukara and Ausangate 7 Lagoons.
- Machu Picchu ireopened on November 1, 2020 and again March 1, 2021 and operates at 40% capacity
- Effective December 1, Children under 12 permitted to enter historical and archaeological sites, and board trains
- International flights from latin countries as well as United States and Canada resumed March 15, 2021
- International flights from Europe to Peru resumed on December 15. However in January 2021 it was announced that flights from Europe and Brazil will be suspended until April 30, 2021.
- Every 15 days the Peru government will re-evaluate covid restrictsions and may put a moratorium on transport and driving on Sundays during the 15 day period. We are able to get a permit to pickup and drop off at the Cusco airport if we have advance notice.
- Foreigners arriving in Peru will need proof of neg covid test with validity for 72 hours. (additional protocol info is listed separately below. This rule subject to change)
- Machu Picchu website is now active and tickets for all dates through December 31, 2021 are now available.
- Machu Picchu National Park increased capacity from 30% in November to 40% in December. Trains are still at limited capacity. However buses are full if demand requires it. Guides will be limited to 7 people per group spaced at least 20 meters apart. Tours will be limited to 1H/20M (we don't know for how long these measure will last)
- The town of Cusco and the Sacred Valley have been awarded "Safe Travels" destinations.
- Lesser known regions in the south of Lima and Arequipa and Lake Titicaca may be partially closed just because of limited demand. Feel free to ask if you are planning to visit a place off the grid. Click here to read more about travel to the Amazon jungle and Lake Titicaca.
- Curfew beginning December 1 from 9PM-4AM in Cusco and Lima metropolitan district, every day of the week, with exemptions for essential workers and people who need emergency medical care. Other regions may have different schedules.
- Train service to Machu Picchu was restored on March 1, 2021.
- Travelers with permits to hike 2, 4, or 5 day Inca Trail in 2020 can reschedule their hikes in 2021 or 2022. We have seen announcements from tour operators claiming that the Peruvian goverment is allowing permits to be transferred to another name. Vidal called the ministry office and confirmed that is simply not true. The tour operators are applying for a refund for permits from 2020 and buying a new permit in a different name. The permits are not being "transferred." They're being refunded. If this seems deceptive. It is and it has nothing to do with the Peruvian government. This is the policy of the tour operator.
I have provided details about arrival and departure procedures, but you must understand that these rules are constantly changing based on local conditions. Peru government is reassessing covid restrictions every 15 days.
In the passenger arena, the most important directive is the permanent use of a mask. Facial protection will also be used inside the plane. Quarantine will not be necessary if the passenger does not present symptoms of coronavirus. Here are the guidelines for passengers arriving in Peru:
- Mandatory use of a mask at the airport. On the plane, you must wear a mask and face shield.
- The mask can only be removed when eating food or drinks. In addition, passengers may be required to remove the mask for a short time to compare their face with the photo of the travel document, such as the passport.
- The passenger who arrives in Lima must show a negative result of a molecular test carried out within 72 hours before departure.
- Travelers must fill out the "Electronic Health Affidavit, and the travelers must commit to isolate or quarantine" in the 72 hours prior to the flight. (Link to online Health Declaration - United States is listed as EE.UU)
- Failure to use a mask or the instructions given by the airlines, the airport or others, may lead to the cancellation of the boarding or cause to reject the passenger's boarding to the Peruvian state.
- Passengers who do not show symptoms upon arrival in Peru will not need to comply with the quarantine. But they maintain the commitment to communicate to the health authority of their jurisdiction if they present symptoms within 14 days of their arrival in the country. (rules like this are subject to change as new information is received)
- If the passenger has symptoms, they must complete 14 days of mandatory isolation at the home or accommodation of their choice.
- The air operator must make announcements about preventive measures that passengers must maintain during the flight, upon arrival, and in the destination country.
- The person who provides false information in the affidavit will be subject to the corresponding administrative, civil and criminal sanctions.
- Departing from Peru, and before boarding the plane, passengers on connecting flights must always wear a mask and face shield.
- Clinics in Cusco and Lima are available to get covid tests prior to departing Peru. Click Here.
- Passengers passing through Peru on connecting flights must present a negative molecular test only if the destination country requires it. It is not required to fill out an affidavit.
- Night curfew from 12M - 5AM.
- As of April, 2021, foreigners who arrive in Chile must quarantine for 1 week in special hotels.
- Before arrival in Chile, fill out a health affidavit online with details of your origin, destination, health conditions and symptoms that could be related to covid
- Purchase health insurance to cover any medical needs including covid, during your stay in Chile
- App to monitor symptoms for 14 days
- State of emergency ended on September 15, 2020
- Galapagos Islands flights resumed. Visitors need to be prepared with proper documents and should be flexible with their itineraries as boating and marine activities slowly reopen. Most businesses are hoping to be open in time for holiday travelers in December and January. (2020 & 2021)
- Covid-19 PCR test is required before flying to Galapagos. PCR tests from foreign labs will be accepted if the test was conducted within 72 hours of arrival in Galapagos. We don't know if you need the test to travel to Ecuador. PCR Tests can be done in the Quito or Guayaquil airport and most hotels
- Foreigners will fill out health form before arrival in Ecuador
- All foreigners should buy comprehensive travel insurance that includes medical services and trip interruption. (I suggest looking for CFAR policy)
- Border open to Peru. Closed to Brazil
- Neg covid test required within 72 hours of arrival. However they also state that 14 day quarantine is required!
- 1 year after the fall of President Evo Morales, Luis Arce won the Presidential election in October 2020 and was sworn in November 8, 2020. Then Morales returned to Bolivia in 2021 and is stiring things up again.
- US citizens no longer need a tourist vist to enter the country. For full details follow this link.
What do you need to know about latin airlines?
Both Avianca and Latam Airlines have filed for Chapter 11 Bankruptcy protection. The circumstances for each company are different.
One good thing to know is that Delta and Latam Airlines are code share partners and you can book all your Latam flights in South America by calling a Delta Airlines agent in the US. This may protect your Latam flights with Delta cancellation and refund policies.Always ask for updated policy info at the time of booking your flights.
How Covid-19 affects your packing list.
We recommend that each group traveling together should bring their own thermometer, in addition to things like masks and sanitizer.
Follow this link to read more.