Please send me information about this trip
NEW! Book Now Button takes you to WeTravel, a third-party booking platform where you choose your dates and book your trip instantly.
Or inquire about private reservations for any date.
Call or text our US Office 757-714-6649 or 757-270-9293
Checacupe Inca Rope Bridge. (can be added to either route)
One of the additional highlights of our 1-day trip to Rainbow Mountain is that we can include an extra stop at Checacupe Inca Rope Bridge and Colonial Bridge on the way back to Cusco. Add $20 USD per person cash for the entry fees. Adios tour guide will collect the additional funds when you are picked up. Your return to your hotel in Cusco may be a little later. (add up to 1 additional hour)
Here's what you need to know about the day trip to Rainbow Mountain:
- -The BOOK NOW button is for the Palcoyo Route with light hiking. If you want the Vinicunca route, send us an email until we get the new page set up!
- -For most ages. Anyone who can walk around Machu Picchu should be able to explore Palcoyo on foot.
- -Due to the extreme high altitude,(16,000 ft,/4850 m) it's best to save the day trip to Rainbow Mountain until the end of your trip to Peru.
- -Pickup and drop off is from any hotel in Cusco. It is not possible to pickup from hotels in the Sacred Valley as they are located in the other direction of the drive.
- -Pickup time is 5AM and estimated return is 4PM. DO NOT book flights, trains or anything critical later the same evening, in case we are delayed in getting back to Cusco. That's just how it is.
- -Horses can be rented at Vinicunca for about 60-80 soles per person (CASH ONLY). The horses take you most of the way up, but you will need to hike the remaining 20-30 minutes to the vista. And the hike down can take at least an hour.
- -There are no horses for rent at Palcoyo. But they are not needed.
- -Day trip to Rainbow Mountain are in small groups up to 6 people with 1 private driver and 1 English-speaking tour guide.
- -Ask your hotel to provide box breakfast
Rainbow Mountain Palcoyo Route Day Trip:
5AM-4PM Altitude 16,000 ft. Begins and ends from your hotel in Cusco
Can you tie the knot on Rainbow Mountain?
2-Day Rainbow Mountain and Qeswachaka Rope Bridge Mini-Adventure
Frequently Asked Questions
Can we set up our trip to Rainbow Mountain any time we want?
The Rainbow Mountain hike is "open" every day. But because of the very high altitude, it's best if you schedule this excursion after your trip to Machu Picchu to allow as much time as possible for acclimatization. It's most likely to be clear during the dry season from April to December. All trips depart Cusco early in the morning and return the same day.
Why does this trip cost more than the trips you see for sale in Cusco city center?
The tour operators in the center are providing transportation to and from the Vinicunca pass trailhead in buses that hold from 15-40 people. They may include one assistant. They all leave Cusco at the same time and arrive at the trail head around the same time. We intentionally schedule our private trips earlier to get there before the buses and crowds. Our groups are in small vans with a private driver and an English-speaking guide. The quality of the experience is important to us.
How many routes are there to Rainbow Mountain? Which one is best?
There are now at least 3 routes but only 1 route which does not require any hiking. Driving conditions vary from route to route and the larger buses are limited to the routes with bridges and roads to accommodate that size vehicle.
Are there restrooms available?
Kind of. There's no plumbed facilities. But there are toilets that can be flushed with buckets of water. Maintenance is sketchy.
Can we arrange an overnight trip to Rainbow Mountain?
Yes. There is a 2-day mini-adventure that includes Rainbow Mountain and Qeswachaka rope bridge.
Can you pick us up from a hotel in the Sacred Valley?
No. This adds additional driving time, and extra expense to the transportation cost. It's best to begin and end in Cusco.
This Adventure Includes
- private driver
- private vehicle
- private English-speaking guide
- box lunch
- 1 refill drinking water
- 1 sports drink
- use of trekking poles
- box breakfast
- additional drinking water
- mules are not available on the Palcoyo route because they are not needed
- There are at least 3 routes to Rainbow Mountain.
- In case you choose a route that involves hiking, mules may be offered for rent by local people at a price that you can negotiate for. (We cannot guarantee mule availability. Anyone who thinks they will rent a mule instead of hiking should not go. Mule rental is one way)
- Tip. Schedule the trip to Rainbow Mountain at the end of your trip to Peru to allow time to acclimatize to high altitude
- Dress warmly. The weather can change suddenly.