Please send me information about this trip
Frequently Asked Questions
Can we set up our trip to Rainbow Mountain any time we want?
The Rainbow Mountain hike is "open" every day. But because of the very high altitude, it's best if you schedule this excursion after your trip to Machu Picchu to allow as much time as possible for acclimatization. It's most likely to be clear during the dry season from April to November. All trips depart Cusco early in the morning and return the same day.
Why does this trip cost more than the trips you see for sale in Cusco city center?
The tour operators in the center are providing transportation to and from the Vinicunca pass trailhead in buses that hold from 15-40 people. They may include one assistant. They all leave Cusco at the same time and arrive at the trail head around the same time. We intentionally schedule our private trips earlier to get there before the buses and crowds. Our groups are in small vans with a private driver and an English-speaking guide. The quality of the experience is important to us.
How many routes are there to Rainbow Mountain? Which one is best?
There are now at least 3 routes but only 1 route which does not require any hiking. Driving conditions vary from route to route and the larger buses are limited to the routes with bridges and roads to accommodate that size vehicle.
Are there restrooms available?
Can we arrange an overnight trip to Rainbow Mountain?
Yes. We can provide camping equipment, a trail chef, hot meals, and turn your trip into a 2 day excursion to the mountains.
Can you pick us up from a hotel in the Sacred Valley?
No. This adds additional driving time, and extra expense to the transportation cost. It's best to begin and end in Cusco.
This Adventure Includes
- private driver
- private vehicle
- private English-speaking guide
- box lunch
- 1 refill drinking water
- 1 sports drink
- use of trekking poles
- box breakfast
- additional drinking water
- mules are not available on this route because there is no hiking
- There are at least 3 routes to Rainbow Mountain.
- In case you choose a route that involves hiking, mules may be offered for rent by local people at a price that you can negotiate for. (We cannot guarantee mule availability. Anyone who thinks they will rent a mule instead of hiking should not go. Mule rental is one way)
- Tip. Schedule the trip to Rainbow Mountain at the end of your trip to Peru to allow time to acclimatize to high altitude
- Dress warmly. The weather can change suddenly.