Looking for a Travel Companion to South America?
It's not only cheaper to travel with a buddy, it can be safer too. You're not alone. There are thousands of buddies out there searching for people like you. How can travel companions find each other? And now we have the extra complex issue of how to travel after covid-19.
JOIN THESE SMALL GROUPS.
Link to Adios Adventure Travel Organized Trips in 2022.
Decide what countries you want to visit and the destinations you want to explore. This will narrow the potential pool of chums to those with similar interests. If you want to visit Peru and Bolivia or Ecuador, it may be more difficult to find companions. Break up your trip into segments by country or by destination. Almost everyone who goes to Peru will go to Machu Picchu, which is the most expensive part, and having a companion for this portion will bring the most value to you. One idea is to invite friends to join your trip for a week or two then continue on your own.
Should you travel solo or with friends?
There's pros and cons for each option and only you can determine what works for you. One of the best strategies to create a harmonic travel experience in a group, is to have an itinerary planned in advance, then choose your own friends and limit the size of the group.
Find out how you can become a leader of your own band of merry travelers.
Try these resources to find your travel buddy:
Your personal social media pages. You control the information posted and who sees it. Here are links to several online resources for finding travel buddies.
We can help you set up an itinerary to post on websites that ask you to do so.
"I need a travel buddy" private group.
Adventure and Travel Mates private group.
Free networking site for travelers
Free netoworking website for travelers
Free board for travelers seeking companions
Find a travel buddy board - Free!
TRAVEL COMPANION EXCHANGE
Travel companion matching service
You post your trip on the website and invite people to join you
Free women-only website based app for finding a female travel buddy.
Women Only. Post your itinerary and dates on the website and get matched with companions who want to join you.
LONELY PLANET TRAVELERS GROUP ON FACEBOOK
(Thorn Tree is shutting down) Join free social platfrom where you can search topics and post your questions
Travel website that charges a small fee to cover the cost of Trip Leader. If you publish your trip and become the trip leader, your travel buddies will pay you.
Most web-based sites will ask you to set up an account in order to join the community.
Tips for searching for buddies and companions on open forums and websites
- don't reveal your home address or private information until you are 100% satisfied that the travel buddie(s) you found are legitimate. Even then there's no reason to provide your address unless you're in the same town and want to share a ride to the airport.
- don't send any money or payments to a travel buddy
- if you're looking for companions to join your trip, be prepared to put them in touch with your tour operator, or send them the full itinerary, cost and all flight details.
- it's important to reveal age, fitness requirements and special interests. Be open to their interests as well. Think of this as a dating app for travelers.
- each person in the group should be allowed to pay their individual trip cost directly to the tour operator
- expect to pay slightly more for single hotel room occupancy
- you can choose to open segments of your trip to buddies, like organized hikes or tours, and travel solo the rest of the time
- discuss travel insurance and decide ahead of time if one or both of you are planning to buy. We like SQUAREMOUTH TRAVEL INSURANCE because they have agents you can talk to in person!
Adios Adventure Travel is not responsible for the terms and conditions for using any third-party website or app. Most users have not had background checks and it's up to you to determine the reliability of information and content posted by others. If in doubt or inappropriate, walk away.