Changes to Cost of Machu Picchu Entry Tickets in 2020
In case you have heard rumors about cost increases or wondered what the cost of Machu Picchu entry tickets will be in 2020, on December 9, 2019, the Peru government released tickets for entry from January 1-5, 2020 and the rates are the same as 2019. On January 2, they will release entry tickets for January 6 and after. We're assuming the rates will stay the same throughout 2020.
Honestly, until the government website actually releases the 2020 tickets for sale, anything is possible! There has been no change to the hourly entry schedule. Tickets can be purchased for entry beginning every hour from 6AM - 14:00 PM. Hours of operation remain 6AM-5:30PM.
Here's a list of the rates
- adult entry tickets from 6am-14:00pm are 152/s. per person (about $48 USD)
- Huayna Picchu and Machu Picchu Mountain tickets are 200/s. per person ($65 USD)
- there is no discount for foreign students over the age of 17 years even with ISIC card
- students age 16 and under will continue to get 50% discount off the adult rate
- there is no discount for senior citizens
What we don't know:
- will tickets for entry after January 5, continue to be sold by the hour after they're released on January 2? It's likely.
- will there be a limit to the amount of time that each ticket is valid for?
- will there be a limited window for entry to Machu Picchu based on your ticket? In 2019 you could enter anytime after your scheduled hour of entry up to 12N for morning tickets and up to 3PM for afternoon tickets.
- will there be additional buses to ensure that people can get from Aguas Calientes up to main entry in timely manner
- will there be changes to Inca Trail permits. (currently, anyone who hikes the Inca Trail and spends the night in Aguas Calientes, earns the privilege to enter Machu Picchu the next day any time in the morning they choose)
It seems to me that if the Peru government moved at least 1 Machu Picchu Mountain and Huayna Picchu hike to the afternoon, they could get some traction with shifting more travelers to afternoon visits. And they need to collaborate with Perurail and Consettur bus company to ensure that visitors can board buses and get to the main entry by their scheduled entry time. The waiting line for buses can be over an hour. In 2019 they started giving preference for people to board the buses who have earliest entry tickets. But there is still a lot of potential for delays.
Updated. December 9, 2019. I'll keep you updated as more details become known.