Machu Picchu Update: One Ticket One Entry
"One and done." That's the latest change at Machu Picchu. Each entry ticket entitles the holder to enter one time.
About the new rule:
- effective July 1, 2019
- it will affect both morning and afternoon ticket holders
- morning ticket holders can enter up to about 11am (ish) and stay beyond 12N. They will not be asked to leave.
- there is no advantage to rushing to enter at 6 am. Mornings can be cloudy and misty. It usually burns off by late morning.
- tickets for Huayna Picchu and Machu Picchu Mountain will entitle people to enter twice. Once for the hike. Once for a tour of one circuit.
- visitors can purchase an additional ticket if available, in the office in Cusco or Aguas Calientes
Other things to know:
- the line to buy bus tickets in Aguas Calientes can be 1 hour wait. We recommend you pre-purchase your tickets in Cusco at Consettur Office, Avenida Infancia 433
- the waiting line to board buses is average of 1- 2H to go up and 1H to go down in busy season (May-Oct). The duration of the ride is 25 minutes.
- Fit visitors can walk back to Aguas Calientes in about an hour. And it's downhill. In that case you should buy 1 way bus ticket and save $12 pp
- the new rule requiring guide service is still not being enforced
- there is one restroom located at the main entry. People who leave the park are not permitted to re-enter unless they have tickets that include one of the hikes, or they have purchased additional tickets (from the office in the village)
Want More Time to Explore Machu Picchu Ruins?
The latest change to entry tickets to Machu Picchu limits each ticket holder to one entry. Unless you buy tickets to hike Huayna Picchu or Machu Picchu Mountain. These hikes are offered at 2 different times during morning shift and allow you to enter twice. The extra cost for these tickets are 48/s. (about $16 USD pp). Even if you don't do the hikes you can enter twice. Huayna Picchu tickets typically sell out several weeks if not months in advance. But MP Mountain tickets are often available. This is the best strategy to gain more time to explore the ruins on your own.
If you have any questions, we'll do our best to answer promptly. We try to stay up to date. Updated July 31, 2019