How to Book Your Trip to Machu Picchu: Last Minute
Traveling last minute? It can be done. We do it all the time. Organizing last minute vacations to Machu Picchu any time of the year can be an adrenalin-pumping ride on waves of hotel rejections, limited train schedules and precision coordinating that would make a military general weep with pride. The first step is to get to Cusco, which usually takes at least 2 travel days. Once you've made it, the 5-6 hour journey to Machu Picchu begins with 1 or 2 hour transfer to the Perurail station in the Sacred Valley, a 1.5 hour train ride to Aguas Calientes and then a 30 minute shuttle bus ride to the main entry. Each stage of the journey must be synchronized with the others, and appropriate tickets must be purchased.
Perhaps you found a last-minute deal on a flight to Lima, Peru? Or maybe you're a procrastinator and, "Whoa! Look what day it is!" Once you have the international flights, we're confident we can put together a trip for you worthy of the effort it takes.
What do you need to know about booking your trip to Machu Picchu during Covid19? Follow this link to get information about Free Cancellation for trips to Machu Picchu.
Here's what you need to know about last minute bookings:
- Your passport must be valid for at least 6 months after your arrival date. Although you can book international flights without a passport at the time you make the reservation, you cannot do this for flights in Peru. You must have a valid passport to make the reservation. For citizens from most countries, no visas or special vaccinations are needed.
- Be flexible with your budget for trips booked 30 days or less from the day of arrival in Peru. This gives us the option to mix and match hotels and train schedules with variations in cost without waiting for you to approve higher costs.
- A booking is considered "valid" once we have 3 things: emailed copy of valid passport for each person in the group, all the details to process full payment, and confirmed dates and itinerary.
- Here's why it can cost more. Train tickets, entry tickets, shuttle bus tickets and guide service have fixed rates year round. Although we have streamlined our booking procedures, we spend more time and effort to find and make reservations last minute.
- Trips booked less than 45 days from arrival must be paid in full and have a no cancellation policy. Here's a link to our cancellation information.
- We make conservative choices with transportation reservations based on our knowledge of local traffic conditions. This is to avoid problems that affect logistics and to minimize risk of missed connections.
- You are welcome to make some of your own reservations and we will try to synchronize with them. We ask you to handle any changes to the services that you booked yourself. (There may be instances where we can assist you. And please note. It's a lot easier to work with nice, appreciative people, than it is to assist grumpy, pushy people)
- We cannot guarantee certain hotels or train services. This is why your budget needs to have some flexibility to allow us to mix and match your reservations for trains and hotels that have variations in cost. Don't worry about the luggage. We will assist with luggage transfers. Keep in mind that hotel upgrades cost more and we reserve the right to book an upgraded hotel at our discretion if standard hotels are not available.
- Good news. We realize you're in a position where you have to put your trust in us. We don't take this responsibility lightly. We're experts. We know what we're doing and we have streamlined the process as much as possible. We're not magicians, but you can count on us to do our best! It's in our best interest to help you have the trip-of-a-lifetime!
Got questions? Call our US office and speak to Jacquie Whitt 757-714-6649 or Heather Corona 757-270-9293. Click here to send email to our office.