Please send me information about this trip
Day 1: Cusco - Chachabamba - Winaywayna - Machu Picchu
4:30-5:30 AM Pickup from your hotel and drive 1.5 hours by car to the Ollantaytambo train station, where we board the train. The train winds us through the mountains and cloud forests with breathtaking scenery until it stops in the jungle at Km 104, the starting point of our trek. After crossing the Urubamba river on a footbridge, we check in with park rangers at the control point, then continue our hike to the archaeological site of Chachabamba, with an elevation of 2150m. From here we ascend a hill for about 2 hours until we reach a beautiful secluded waterfall and in a few more minutes, will arrive at the fascinating archaeological site of Wiñaywayna 2650 m (8,694.23 ft). After we explore the ancient ruins. we continue to hike through the semitropical cloud forest area, until we cross over the mountain through Intipunku (The Sun Gate) to get our first glimpse of Machu Picchu. After a short hike down, we enjoy the afternoon before we descend by bus to Aguas Calientes for a comfortable night in our hotel.
Day 2: Machu Picchu - Cusco
After an early breakfast, we will take the shuttle bus up to Machu Picchu to enjoy the magic of the morning light and a private, guided tour. After your guided tour, you are free to re-enter and explore the ruins on your own. Around mid-day, we return to Aguas Calientes by bus, then on to Cusco by train & private vehicle. With advance notice, we can make arrangements for you to spend one more day in Aguas Calientes and defer your return to Cusco at no extra cost unless you want us to book the hotel. (4-5 hours travel time from Aguas Calientes to your hotel in Cusco.)
Frequently Asked Questions
This Adventure Includes
- Pre-hike briefing the day before you start. Usually in your hotel or nearby hotel if others are hiking
- Transportation from: Hotel to Km. 104 (bus and train)
- Full-time, Professional English-speaking guide; (2 guides for groups of 9 or more people)
- Train tickets to the Km 104; and from Aguas Calientes to Ollantaytambo
- Transfers from Cusco to train station in Ollantaytambo
- Snacks ( during the hike)
- Permits for the Inca Trail
- 1 round trip shuttle bus ticket: Machu Picchu - Aguas Calientes
- Hotel accommodation including breakfast in Aguas Calientes.
- Entry to Machu Picchu National Park & private tour
***optional 3rd day Sacred Valley tour includes guide, driver, vehicle & hotel
- International airfare to and from Lima.
- Domestic airfare from Lima
- Airport transfers
- additional shuttle bus tickets (add $20 pp for each roundtrip)
- Trekking poles (can be rented for $8 pp - over 6'1"/185 cm should bring your own)
- Travel insurance
- Hotel in Cusco (we offer preferred rates for our groups)
- Passport is required to obtain permits for this hike - we can use expired passport to get permit, but you must travel with both the old and new passport
- Once booked, permits cannot be transferred, changed or cancelled.
- Trip extensions available to Amazon jungle, Lake Titicaca, Arequipa, Ecuador & Galapagos Islands
- We offer preferred rates for Cusco hotel - $85 /dbl, $75/sgl, $110/trp at Encantada Casa
- No experience necessary
- For all ages of active travelers