Please send me information about this trip
Day 1: Lima - Puerto Maldonado
8-9 AM. Fly 2 hours from Lima to small jungle airport where our local guide will be waiting. Store excess luggage in the local office before you begin the drive from the jungle town of Puerto Maldonado, to the docks, where the vegetation will change from colonized deforested areas to virgin rainforest. Continue about 2 hours by motorized canoe to your temporary home in the jungle, where you settle in to your lodge. The naturalist guide will escort you to explore the trails in the surrounding forest. Frequently seen wildlife may include saddle-back tamarinds, brown capuchins, agoutis, blue- morpho butterflies, trogons, toucans and other bird species. After dinner we will take a night walk in search of nocturnal rainforest species. All lodges have private bathroom with hot water. Not even luxury lodges have AC or fans. Generators are available for short periods in the morning and evening to recharge your cameras and devices. Canoes have padded seats with back support, sun canopy and motors. Local staff will assist with transfer of bags.
Day 2: Forest Trails and Wetlands
After breakfast in the dining hall, your first full day in the rainforest will be spent on the trail system leading to Lake Condenado. We'll board one of our canoes and paddle out on the lake in search of local birdlife and other native wildlife. Forest lake systems are the best places to spot birds and other wildlife. The key to spotting untamed animals in their native habitat is dependent on the skills of the guide. They use their knowledge of seasonal food sources and habitat locations as well as their expertise in spotting animals who are usually trying to hide. All meals are prepared and served in the lodge dining room.
Day 3: Deep Forest Exploration
The final full day we will go much further into the forest to visit the wetland system around Lake Sachavacayoc. The forests around this beautiful lake teem with birdlife, and the waters are home to black caiman and endangered giant river otters. Back at the Ecolodge in the afternoon, you will have time to relax in a hammock or explore our clearly marked trail system independently.
Day 4: Puerto Maldonado - Cusco
Retrace your steps by boat back to the airport for 45 min flight to Cusco. Arrival and transfer to the hotel. Guided, walking tour of Cusco with introduction to Andes Mountain culture. Overnight in Cusco
Day 5: Cusco - Sacred Valley of the Inkas - Aguas Calientes
You try to absorb the stunning vistas only seen in the Andes as we tour the small towns of the Sacred Valley, including Ollantaytambo and Chinchero. Each town offers its unique interpretation of ancient customs and traditional life. Chinchero is known for hand-dying and weaving fabric; Ollantaytambo is the oldest occupied Incan town. Board the train for 1.5 hour ride to Aguas Calientes for dinner and overnight.
Day 6: Aguas Calientes - Machu Picchu
We connect with the bus for our final approach to the national park and the ruins of Machupicchu. Your guide conducts a private tour of the ruins, after which we return by train and private vehicle to Cusco for the night.
Day 7: Cusco - Lima
Transfer to airport at least 2 hours prior to scheduled departure.
Frequently Asked Questions
Coming soon! Send your questions to firstname.lastname@example.org.
This Adventure Includes
- 1 way Cusco airport transfer and all land transportation (bus and train)
- 3* Hotel accommodations including Peruvian breakfast buffet
- 1 Entry to Machu Picchu National Park
- Private, guided tour of the ruins with English-speaking guide
- Tours are shared in small groups (private tours in Cusco & Machu Picchu can be arranged at higher cost)
- Jungle airport transfers, land & boat transportation, meals and licensed guides
- Jungle lodges have private bath & hot water
- International airfare to and from Lima, Peru
- Domestic airfare (we assist you with booking 3 one-way local flights)
- Lunches or dinners (except on jungle tour)
- 1 way Cusco airport transfer upon departure
- Bottled water or other beverages
- Travel insurance
- Itinerary subject to change - sequence can be switched so you visit Machu Picchu first
- Single supplement - add $350 pp
- Domestic flights - estimated $450 pp (subject to change until booked)
- Hotel/transfer services available in Lima upon request - add $95 pp double/triple or $170 pp single
- Add more days in Cusco - $55 pp per day based on double/triple occupancy
- Ask about extending your trip to Lake Titicaca, Arequipa, Colca Canyon, Ecuador or Galapagos Islands.