Here's an overview of the logistics to travel between Machu Picchu in Peru, and Galapagos Islands, off the coast of Ecuador. We can help you choose the activities and tours that fit your needs and interests including Inca Trail hikes. We have created itineraries that combine the best of Cusco and Machu Picchu with the most interesting and dramatic spots in the Galapagos Islands. (click here to see a Galapagos and Machu Picchu 12 Day Itinerary)
Should you choose land-based tour or cruise in the Galapagos Islands? Here's what you need to know:
- Cruises have fixed departures while land-based tours can start any date. If you have already booked your international flights, it's likely that a land-based tour will be the best fit.
- Land-based tours include activities on the islands as well as in the water. You sleep in hotels and dine in restaurants. Cruises may stop at the islands for you to get off for short periods, but you will live aboard the boats.
- snorkeling activities are optional. If someone doesn't wish to snorkel, he/she can stay in the boat.
- there is the option to hike on Isabela Island to Sierra Negra volcano. It can be a half day, or longer if you choose to continue the hike to Chico Vulcan. The hike is not steep but it takes several hours over varied terrain and when raining in the highlands, (June and July) it becomes a muddy adventure!
- walking around the villages on any of the 3 main islands (Santa Cruz, San Cristobal or Isabela) is enjoyable way to explore the local culture. Dining on Kioska Street in Puerto Ayora may be the gastronomic highlight of the trip.
- seasickness strikes even the most hardy travelers. Please visit your physician to discuss remedies. The transfers between the islands take 2 to 2.5 hours each leg by speedboat. It is recommended that you take medication at least 30 to 45 minutes before boarding.
Frequently asked questions about trip to Machu Picchu and Galapagos Islands:
- How long does it take to travel between Machu Picchu & Galapagos?
It takes 2 days / 1 night of travel, including overnight in Guayaquil (or Quito) if you begin your trip in Peru first.
- How many days does it take to visit Machu Picchu and Galapagos Islands?
The minimum is 12 days including 1 travel day between. But more days are always better
- Can we visit Galapagos first, then go to Machu Picchu?
Yes we can organize the trip in either direction. One overnight is needed in transit no matter which direction you choose.
- Do we need to find hotels and make reservations when traveling between Machu Picchu & Galapagos?
No, we organize the hotels and transfers back and forth to the airport when needed
- Can you book our flights from Peru to Ecuador?
No, we ask you to book all your international flights. We can book all the internal flights (domestic). And we can help you find the best options for international flights. And we will review all your flights, including those that you book yourself, to confirm that everything is coordinated.
- Can you fly directly from Cusco to Galapagos airport? No, it is not possible to fly directly, nor is it possible to fly there in one day. You must stop in Lima, Peru and Guayaquil, (or Quito) Ecuador.
- When is the best time to visit the Galapagos Islands?
Because the islands are located on the equator, there are only 2 seasons; wet and dry. The islands can be visited anytime year round. There is not much change in average high temperature year round. And temperatures are not extreme.
- When is the best time to visit Machu Picchu?
The average daily temperature is 65 F year round. The rainy season runs from November to early April when the crowds are the lowest. January is the slowest travel time in Peru. Machu Picchu is open every day of the year.
- How big are the groups?
In Peru, our minimum is 2 people and you may or may not be combined with anyone else. In Galapagos, the excursions are in small groups. Maximum of 15 people.
|AVG SEA TEMP:||74||76||76||76||74||74||72||66||68||70||72||74|
|AVG RAINFALL: (INCHES)||1||1||2||1.5||.75||.25||.50||.25||.50||.25||.50||.50|
Contact Adios Adventure Travel US office and let us know how much time you have and we can set up the itinerary that fits your needs. We help you choose and book the multi-city international airfare and we take care of the rest.
Choose tourist class or superior accommodations with local guides
Or choose budget accommodations and shared, guided excursions. Combine with 5 or 7 day Machu Picchu Traditional tour and you have a variation of the same combined trip.
We request that you book Machu Picchu and Galapagos Getaways with a minimum of 2 people, at least 6-8 months in advance, and for larger groups, the sooner you can confirm your reservation, the better chance we have of getting our first choice for hotels.
TIP: land-based tours are the best option for making a last-minute booking.