Machu Picchu Update: One Ticket One Entry
"One and done." That's the latest change at Machu Picchu. Each entry ticket entitles the holder to enter one time.
Here's what we know about the new rule:
- it will affect both morning and afternoon ticket holders
- morning ticket holders can enter up to about 11am (ish) and stay beyond 12N. They will not be asked to leave.
- there is no advantage to rushing to enter at 6 am. Mornings can be cloudy and misty. It usually burns off by late morning.
- tickets for Huayna Picchu and Machu Picchu Mountain will entitle people to enter twice. Once for the hike. Once for a tour of one circuit.
- visitors can purchase an additional ticket if available, in the office in Aguas Calientes
Here's what we don't know about the new rule:
- exact date it will be implemented. Sometime in June 2018
- if it's permanent change or temporary, to alleviate seasonal congestion
Other things to know:
- the line to buy bus tickets in Aguas Calientes can be 1 hour wait. We recommend you pre-buy your tickets in Cusco at Consettur Office, Avenida Infancia 433
- the waiting line to board buses is average of 2H to go up and 1H to go down in busy season (May-Oct). The duration of the ride is 25 minutes.
- Fit visitors can walk back to Aguas Calientes in about an hour. And it's downhill. In that case you should buy 1 way bus ticket and save $12 pp
- the new rule requiring guide service is still not being enforced
If you have any questions, we'll do our best to answer promptly. We try to stay up to date.